Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The light

One of the things I have struggled with since I was very young has been looking people in the eye. I have consciously been acting on remedying this behavior over the years, but some days it's still tough. I was listening to a podcast this morning and it triggered something in my mind.

I had believed that by averting my eyes I could protect myself from anyone seeing who I really was. That if anyone saw this dark, horrible, fraud, then there was no possible way they could love or accept me. The truth is, the things I carried shame from were from when I was a child and young adult learning about life. They are things that I would forgive any child for doing, so why is it so different when it's about me? Why should I be so lucky to be exempt from making mistakes, and then have the luxury of beating myself up over it?
All of us are included in the experience of being human together, and part of that experience includes the discomforts of being human as well. I honestly believe that all of us make the best choices available to us at the time. All of us want to love an be loved, to be seen, and to connect with each other. However, not all of us are given the same set of tools in how to make good choices depending on the experiences in our lives. So we make mistakes, we learn, and we try again. There are no rules to this experience of life, and often we get hurt, hurt each other along the way, and over time may start to feel shame and unworthiness.

The podcast stated that when we see the beauty in another, we become a mirror for that person to see the beauty in themselves. We become a light, to show them the beauty and the truth of who they really are. To see the beauty in another is to see the Buddha in yourself. How I see this, is that if I am to be really true to my beliefs, it is my duty look people in the eye, to let them and me be seen. It is my, and our, responsibility to be a light for those around us to help them see their own perfect Buddha nature. If we allow ourselves to become a light, we give others permission to shine themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment